- Are you ready to start interviewing with law firms?
- If so, double check yourself against this article providing 23 law firm interview tips.
For the World’s Largest Collection of Law Firm Interview Resources for Attorneys and Law Students: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Law Firm Interviewing
What are the most important rules of thumb for attorneys to remember about law firm job interviews?
- What are the most important rules of thumb for attorneys to remember about law firm job interviews?
- What is the best way to develop a rapport with the interviewer?
- Is there a decent way to answer the dreaded question “Tell me a little about yourself?”
- Can you recommend any particular resources for doing research on a firm prior to the interview?
- What if you’re asked to address your personal weaknesses?
- How do you address inappropriate questions, like are you married, or questions about politics?
- Does the adversarial nature of lawyers work against attorneys in a job interview situation?
- What’s the best way to summarize your entire background?
- What about under-qualified attorneys? How can they address a question about their background?
- How about after the interview … thank you letter or no thank you letter?
- What’s the best way to handle a bad interview?
- How can a qualified attorney screw up in the interview?
- “Are you interviewing anywhere else?” “Why are you leaving your present position?” or “Why did you leave your present position?” — how do you address this? What if you parted on bad terms?
- What about “How did you do in law school?” Can you honestly answer the question if you didn’t do well in law school or went to a bad school?
- How important are the clothes you wear?
- Any advice for the shy? How do you appear to be confident when nervous?
- What are the differences in interviewing with a big firm vs. a small or mid-sized firm?
- How should an attorney handle an interview in an unconventional situation? Law firms will often take you out to lunch or for drinks to get to know you.
- What are the differences between interviews with associates and junior partners and interviews with senior associates and partners?
- What about video conference and telephone interviews?
- How important is it to ask questions?
- What questions should be avoided?
- Can you recommend additional resources about law firm interviews?