- This practice area category focuses on patent agents and technical specialists who have expertise in the hard sciences.
- Patent agents must be admitted to the Patent Bar, and technical specialists do not need to be admitted.
- Most patent agents and technical specialists have advanced degrees.
Why Do Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Hard Sciences Attorneys Enjoy Their Jobs?
- People who are somewhat introverted tend to enjoy this practice because there is not a lot of interaction with people.
- The work is also very detail oriented and requires the ability to study and understand new technologies.
- People who become proficient in this practice area tend to have the ability to take jobs in other states and law firms and move laterally.
- There are relatively long deadlines in this practice area, which means that the hours tend to be more predictable.
What Are the Difficulties of Being a Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Hard Sciences Attorney?
- People who enjoy working closely with others and do not enjoy extremely technical work tend not to like patent prosecution.
- The work also tends to be quite intellectually "taxing" and tiring.
How Easy Is It to Move Laterally as a Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Hard Sciences Attorney?
- This is not an active practice area in the legal recruiting realm because there tend to be more far more highly-qualified technical specialists and patent agents than there are jobs.
- Nevertheless, there is a lateral market for patent agents, but legal recruiters are not frequently used because there is just not a lot of demand.
- The busiest areas for this work tend to be in Boston and Silicon Valley.
Learn more about patent agent jobs in the following articles:
- I'm a Patent Agent, When Should I Start Searching for a Job?
- Do I Need to Meet the Patent Experience Requirements for Patent Agent Opportunities at Major Law Firms?
- What Makes a Strong Patent Agent Candidate?
See the current Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Hard Sciences job openings we are recruiting for here: Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Hard Sciences Attorney Jobs
Patent Agent Case Studies
- Extraordinary Patent Litigator Finds Perfect Fit for Next Step in "Sky is the Limit" Career
- Patent Prosecution Attorney Lands Top Big Law Position
- Washington, D.C.-Based Patent Agent with No Law Firm Experience Placed with Venable
- Placement of Junior Patent Prosecution Associate Relocating from Michigan to the Northeast
- Law Firms Love Patent Agents with Advanced Degrees
- Entry-Level Patent Agent with Ph.D. Finds AmLaw Firm Opportunity
- Senior Patent Attorney in Miami Interested in Relocating to Michigan
- Patent Litigation Attorney Unhappy With Firm, Takes Offer With Start-Up and Turns Down Offers and then Looks for Another Job
- Senior Patent Attorney in a Mountain State Losing His Position and Looking for a New One
- In-House Senior Patent Attorney in the Midwest Who Believed Their Options Were Limited in Their City
- Midwestern Patent Attorney Paid So Poorly He Had To Take A Job In Retail