Summary: Learn more about what it is like to be a Patent Agent/Technical Specialist attorney in this article.
- This practice area category focuses on professionals who assist clients in obtaining patents for their inventions.
- They are not lawyers, but both patent agents and technical specialists have specialized technical knowledge in hard sciences or life sciences.
- Patent agents have been admitted to the patent bar/USPTO.
Why Do Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Attorneys Enjoy Their Jobs?
- People who are somewhat introverted tend to enjoy this practice because there is not a lot of interaction with people.
- The work is also very detail oriented and requires the ability to study and understand new technologies.
- People who become proficient in this practice area tend to have the ability to take jobs in other states and law firms and move laterally.
- There are relatively long deadlines in this practice area, which means that the hours tend to be more predictable.
What Are the Difficulties of Being a Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Attorney?
- People who enjoy working closely with others and do not enjoy extremely technical work tend not to like patent prosecution.
- The work also tends to be quite intellectually "taxing" and tiring.
How Easy Is It to Move Laterally as a Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Attorney?
- This is not an active practice area in the legal recruiting realm because there tend to be more far more highly-qualified technical specialists and patent agents than there are jobs.
- Nevertheless, there is a lateral market for patent agents, but legal recruiters are not frequently used because there is just not a lot of demand.
- The busiest areas for this work tend to be in Boston and Silicon Valley.
Learn more about patent agent jobs in the following articles:
- I'm a Patent Agent, When Should I Start Searching for a Job?
- Do I Need to Meet the Patent Experience Requirements for Patent Agent Opportunities at Major Law Firms?
- What Makes a Strong Patent Agent Candidate?
See the current Patent Agent/Technical Specialist job openings we are recruiting for here:
Patent Agent/Technical Specialist Attorney Jobs