Going in for a lateral partner recruitment involves looking into a lot of details and making sure that all the mundane but necessary details are taken care of. Here is a short checklist and a questionnaire put together by BCG Attorney Search that you can use to help you in this process.
On this checklist, put a the date of completion and a comment when needed as you go through this list.
1) Obtain copy of resume
2) Library searches to confirm:
No adverse news stories
3) Obtain copy of law school transcript or call law school to confirm graduation date
4) Schedule initial and, if applicable, follow-on interviews
Boston Management Committee members
Applicable Department Director/s
"Meet and greet"
5) Send Lateral Partner Questionnaire
6) Send form of Business/Integration Plan, if applicable
7) Receive Lateral Partner Questionnaire:
Jurisdictions in which admitted to practice law (including proof of admission and Certificate of Good Standing from highest court in each jurisdiction)
Employment history, with all years accounted for
List of principal clients, indicating portable business
Business transactions with clients (5-year history)
8) Verity employment history - last 10 years Coordinate with Records to complete conflicts check
9) Received completed business plan
10) Confirm compensation agreed upon
11) Send copy of resume and potential start date to Marketing
12) Complete reference checks:
Attorneys at current firm (upon permission of candidate):
Clients (upon notice to current firm and clients)
13) Call firm to inquire (make offer contingent upon satisfactory inquiry unless candidate gives express permission to contact the appropriate individual:
Who is malpractice insurance carrier;
Dates of coverage
Limits of liability
14) Closing Binder (see attached TOC)
This is the lateral partner recruitment checklist.
Name of Candidate: Date of Hire:
Law School Transcript
Lateral Partner Questionnaire
Reports from Library Searches
Reference Check Guides
[Insert Name of Partner]
LATERAL PARTNER QUESTIONNAIRE
In connection with my prospective election as a member of the firm of , I submit the following information which I affirm is true, accurate and complete:
1. Set forth below are a list of all college, law school and other advanced degrees which I have received:
2. Set forth below is a list of all jurisdictions in which I am admitted to practice law and the year of admission. I am a member in good standing in each of those jurisdictions, except as otherwise noted:
Year of Admission
Exception, if any:
3. Please set forth your employment history since graduation from law school:
Firm or Company
Reasons for Termination
4. Are you now, or during the preceding 10 years have you ever been, a party or subject to any disciplinary or other proceeding or investigation by or before any state or other bar committee, overseers or other entity (including a law firm) involving your conduct as an attorney (including allegations of sexual harassment)?
If yes, explain in detail:
5. Are you now, or during the preceding 10 years have you ever been, a party (plaintiff or defendant) in any other administrative proceeding, arbitration or criminal or civil court action exclusive of routine, non-alcoholic related or non-drug related motor vehicle offenses?
If yes, explain in detail:
6. Please list (or attach a list) of your principal clients (i.e., those for which you perform legal services on an ongoing basis). The purpose of this question, among others, is to elicit potential conflicts.
7. Please affirm that you have filed, on a timely basis (including permitted extensions) all federal, state and other tax returns required to be filed by you for the current year and each of the preceding years:
Exceptions, if any:
8. Please list (or attach a list) of all positions held by you as a director or officer (including as secretary or clerk) or general partner of any entity, including non-profit organizations:
9. Please describe any business transactions or arrangements (other than fee arrangements) with clients, present or past, that are existing or have occurred or existed within the preceding 10 years. This includes, without limitation, investments in clients.
10. Please list the names of not less than three persons (none of whom should be attorneys with your present firm) who would be in a position to comment on your abilities as a lawyer, integrity, etc.:
Firm or Company
Nature of Relationship
11. Please list the names of not less than three attorneys at your present firm who would be in a position to comment on your abilities as a lawyer, integrity, etc.:
12. Please describe any absolute or contingent obligations to your existing firm, or any prior firm, that will be in place if and when you join our firm.
13. Have you ever personally, or had an interest in any entity that has, filed for bankruptcy? If yes, explain in detail:
This short questionnaire can help law firms get a clear picture on the hiring process involving a lateral partner.
Interested in Learning More About Legal Hiring? Read the Definitive Guide: