- This practice area category focuses on the defense of insurance companies when there is a dispute about how much the insurance company is being asked to pay under a policy.
Why Do Insurance Defense Attorneys Enjoy Their Jobs?
- People who enjoy this work like the fact that there is a lot of work to go around.
- Attorneys who do this work develop an expertise and have the ability to move between firms.
- There is both high-end and low-end insurance defense work and the jobs on the low end (representing insurance companies in auto accidents, for example) typically do not require attorneys to have great qualifications.
What Are the Difficulties of Being an Insurance Defense Attorney?
- Attorneys who do not enjoy this work may find the positions of insurance companies and their reasons for not paying claims to be distasteful and not like the work for that reason.
- Also, at the low end, the quality of attorneys and their work product can be quite poor.
- Most of these cases settle out of court, so the attorneys doing this work also often do not get much trial exposure.
How Easy Is It to Move Laterally as an Insurance Defense Attorney?
- The lateral market for attorneys (at the low end) is typically very healthy.
- At the high end, the practice area is not typically all that healthy for lateral attorneys.
Learn more about insurance attorneys in the following article:
Marketability of Insurance Attorneys
See the current Insurance Defense job openings we are recruiting for here: Insurance Defense Attorney Jobs
Insurance Defense Case Studies
- Insurance Defense Associate Candidate Placed in Hybrid Litigation / Transactional Position in Las Vegas
- Insurance Defense Associate Candidate Placed at Multi-office Firm in Las Vegas
- Junior Insurance Defense Candidate Finds Opportunity in Commercial Litigation with Larger Platform
- Municipal, Education, Employment and Insurance Associate Transitions to Healthcare Litigation
- Labor & Employment Attorney Leaves Insurance Defense Firm and Lands Back in L&E