What Does a Finance Attorney Do?
- This practice area focuses on the legal aspects of finance work.
- Finance law is a broad category that involves any lending or financing activity.
- Finance law is largely transaction-based, and finance lawyers represent either lenders such as banks or other financial institutions, or borrowers such as companies, in the negotiation and drafting of loan agreements and related documents.
- Finance lawyers often specialize in a particular type of finance law, such as Banking Law, Project Finance, Structured Finance, Transportation Finance, asset securitizations, derivatives deals, and other exotic financing arrangements.
Why Do Finance Attorneys Enjoy Their Jobs?
- Attorneys who enjoy this work enjoy numbers, business, documenting things, and negotiation.
- This is a very document intensive practice area that emphasizes details.
- This is also a good practice area for people who have good business sense and good relationship building skills.
- This is an excellent practice area for going in-house and there are a lot of opportunities for this.
What Are the Difficulties of Being a Finance Attorney?
- People that do not enjoy this practice group typically do not do well with details.
- They also may be uncomfortable explaining complex details in easy-to-understand language.
- You need to enjoy negotiation to be good at this practice area.
How Easy Is It to Move Laterally as a Finance Attorney?
- This is a practice area with a healthy lateral market when the economy is doing well.
- Attorneys who work in finance are always in demand at the associate level in most major cities during strong economies.
- This is one of the easier practice areas to build a business in and also one that is well suited to attorneys who are interested in business and details.
- Strong finance attorneys typically have the ability to jump around the country and work in different markets because their skills are enough in demand.
Learn more about finance jobs in this article: BCG Attorney Search's Guide to Corporate and Finance Practice Areas
See the current Finance job openings we are recruiting for here: Finance Attorney Jobs
Finance case Studies
- Junior Finance Attorney with Impressive Mid-Level Deal Sheet Makes Lateral Growth Move
- Senior Finance BigLaw Associate Steps Out and Returns as Counsel in a New City
- In Unique Placement of Exceptional Diverse Candidate, Client Becomes Attorney at AmLaw Firm
- Talented Diverse Junior Finance Lawyer Makes Rare Early-Career Move Up
- Top Candidate in Finance Makes Move to Vault Top 10
- Candidate With Former Book Makes Way Back to Firm
- Senior Attorney at Small Firm Lands Big Law
- Senior Remote Regional Market Candidate Lands Top Firm in NYC
- Finance Attorney Moves from Regional Market to Vault Top 10 Firm
- Making the Move to a Bigger City During a Pandemic
- In-House Finance Attorney Returns to AmLaw Firm: From Law to Business and Back to Law
- Impressive Senior Attorney Without Business Successfully
- California Attorney Relocating to Portland Finds New Home in Top Firm
About Harrison Barnes
Harrison Barnes is a prominent figure in the legal placement industry, known for his expertise in attorney placements and his extensive knowledge of the legal profession.
With over 25 years of experience, he has established himself as a leading voice in the field and has helped thousands of lawyers and law students find their ideal career paths.
Barnes is a former federal law clerk and associate at Quinn Emanuel and a graduate of the University of Chicago College and the University of Virginia Law School. He was a Rhodes Scholar Finalist at the University of Chicago and a member of the University of Virginia Law Review. Early in his legal career, he enrolled in Stanford Business School but dropped out because he missed legal recruiting too much.
Barnes' approach to the legal industry is rooted in his commitment to helping lawyers achieve their full potential. He believes that the key to success in the legal profession is to be proactive, persistent, and disciplined in one's approach to work and life. He encourages lawyers to take ownership of their careers and to focus on developing their skills and expertise in a way that aligns with their passions and interests.
One of how Barnes provides support to lawyers is through his writing. On his blog, HarrisonBarnes.com, and BCGSearch.com, he regularly shares his insights and advice on a range of topics related to the legal profession. Through his writing, he aims to empower lawyers to control their careers and make informed decisions about their professional development.
One of Barnes's fundamental philosophies in his writing is the importance of networking. He believes that networking is a critical component of career success and that it is essential for lawyers to establish relationships with others in their field. He encourages lawyers to attend events, join organizations, and connect with others in the legal community to build their professional networks.
Another central theme in Barnes' writing is the importance of personal and professional development. He believes that lawyers should continuously strive to improve themselves and develop their skills to succeed in their careers. He encourages lawyers to pursue ongoing education and training actively, read widely, and seek new opportunities for growth and development.
In addition to his work in the legal industry, Barnes is also a fitness and lifestyle enthusiast. He sees fitness and wellness as integral to his personal and professional development and encourages others to adopt a similar mindset. He starts his day at 4:00 am and dedicates several daily hours to running, weightlifting, and pursuing spiritual disciplines.
Finally, Barnes is a strong advocate for community service and giving back. He volunteers for the University of Chicago, where he is the former area chair of Los Angeles for the University of Chicago Admissions Office. He also serves as the President of the Young Presidents Organization's Century City Los Angeles Chapter, where he works to support and connect young business leaders.
In conclusion, Harrison Barnes is a visionary legal industry leader committed to helping lawyers achieve their full potential. Through his work at BCG Attorney Search, writing, and community involvement, he empowers lawyers to take control of their careers, develop their skills continuously, and lead fulfilling and successful lives. His philosophy of being proactive, persistent, and disciplined, combined with his focus on personal and professional development, makes him a valuable resource for anyone looking to succeed in the legal profession.
About BCG Attorney Search
BCG Attorney Search matches attorneys and law firms with unparalleled expertise and drive, while achieving results. Known globally for its success in locating and placing attorneys in law firms of all sizes, BCG Attorney Search has placed thousands of attorneys in law firms in thousands of different law firms around the country. Unlike other legal placement firms, BCG Attorney Search brings massive resources of over 150 employees to its placement efforts locating positions and opportunities its competitors simply cannot. Every legal recruiter at BCG Attorney Search is a former successful attorney who attended a top law school, worked in top law firms and brought massive drive and commitment to their work. BCG Attorney Search legal recruiters take your legal career seriously and understand attorneys. For more information, please visit www.BCGSearch.com.
Harrison Barnes does a weekly free webinar with live Q&A for attorneys and law students each Wednesday at 10:00 am PST. You can attend anonymously and ask questions about your career, this article, or any other legal career-related topics. You can sign up for the weekly webinar here: Register on Zoom
Harrison also does a weekly free webinar with live Q&A for law firms, companies, and others who hire attorneys each Wednesday at 10:00 am PST. You can sign up for the weekly webinar here: Register on Zoom
You can browse a list of past webinars here: Webinar Replays
You can also listen to Harrison Barnes Podcasts here: Attorney Career Advice Podcasts
You can also read Harrison Barnes' articles and books here: Harrison's Perspectives
Harrison Barnes is the legal profession's mentor and may be the only person in your legal career who will tell you why you are not reaching your full potential and what you really need to do to grow as an attorney--regardless of how much it hurts. If you prefer truth to stagnation, growth to comfort, and actionable ideas instead of fluffy concepts, you and Harrison will get along just fine. If, however, you want to stay where you are, talk about your past successes, and feel comfortable, Harrison is not for you.
Truly great mentors are like parents, doctors, therapists, spiritual figures, and others because in order to help you they need to expose you to pain and expose your weaknesses. But suppose you act on the advice and pain created by a mentor. In that case, you will become better: a better attorney, better employees, a better boss, know where you are going, and appreciate where you have been--you will hopefully also become a happier and better person. As you learn from Harrison, he hopes he will become your mentor.
To read more career and life advice articles visit Harrison's personal blog.