The most important question you will have to answer in an interview is "why are you interested in our firm?" Although this seems like an obvious question, it's one that wasn't necessarily asked in prior years. In 2012, however, law firms know that opportunities are few and far between and that a large pool of candidates is vying for a small number of positions. It's no longer enough to have a generic answer to this question, so do your research and really get to know a firm before going in for an interview. Pay attention to such things as the size of the firm's practice group, the number and location of the firm's offices, whether the firm has an international, national or regional presence, associate development programs, the type of work associates get to take on and anything else that will assist you in distinguishing one particular firm from its competitors. The key is to be able to efficiently articulate to the interviewee what you believe sets his or her law firm apart from the competition and why you feel the firm is a strong fit for your experience and/or career goals.
See the following articles for more information:
- 21 Major Interview Mistakes to Avoid at All Costs
- The Best Way to Prepare for a Job Search and Interviews
- How to Talk About Other Interviews in Your Interviews
- How to Answer the Tell Me About Yourself Interview Question
- How to Answer the Do You Have Any Questions for Me Interview Question