Claudia Barnes General Manager
202 South Lake Avenue, Suite 250, Pasadena, CA, 91101
p 213-895-7300 |  f 213-895-7306 |  toll-free 800-298-6440
Download Contact Info: Claudia Barnes vCardEducation
Juris Doctor, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
Bachelor of Arts, University of California, San Diego
Claudia Barnes makes placements at firms ranging in size from small (as few as eight attorneys) to mid-sized to large, international firms with over a thousand attorneys. She was an attorney for one of the country's most prestigious intellectual property firms, Finnegan Henderson Farabow Garrett & Dunner in Palo Alto. This experience has given her valuable insight into making placements for IP candidates, although she has recently secured positions for attorneys in real estate, labor and employment, and litigation. She believes the best way to serve her clients is to get to know them in order to make the most informed decision possible and find a firm that fits the needs of the candidate.
Claudia's dedication and persistence have aided her service to clients. She can guarantee an interview for every candidate she takes on because she only works with attorneys she believes can benefit from her expertise. Building personal relationships is her favorite part of the job and she is very effective in guiding candidates in the right direction.
Claudia has helped realize career goals for lawyers of all levels, from junior associates to seasoned partners. Though she has placed more associates, she has worked with partners with million dollar books of business in IP, corporate and labor and employment. Most of her placements have been in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Seattle. She looks forward to enriching the lives of other attorneys, enhancing careers, and establishing long-term relationships.
- Becoming a Mother: Continuing to Care For Your Other Baby...Your Career.
- Reality Check: What to Expect While Searching for a Position in California
- The practice of law: to stay or go
- Downtown Los Angeles market description
- Washington market description
Job Search Q&As
- Q: I am a sixth year litigation associate with a large firm in Los Angeles. This year the firm promoted only two associates to partner and neither one works in the Los Angeles office. I have consistently had very good reviews, and the Los Angeles partners have told me they will go to bat for me when I am up for partner. However, the Los Angeles office of my firm does not have the pull and power it used to - which, I believe, is partly why the firm did not promote anyone from our office. While I am happy at the firm, I can not help but be concerned for my future and opportunity for advancement. Meanwhile, I have a friend who moved to a boutique firm several years ago, and he was just promoted to partner as a sixth year associate! What should I do?
- Q: I am a senior (Class of 1998) business litigator who has been laid off of a small boutique firm since June 2009. I have approximately $50,000-$100,000 in portable business that I have maintained for several years now. I have interviewed with several firms in the various geographic regions that my family and I can move to; however, I have not yet received an offer. Many of the firms require more portable business. I am unable to look outside of the state due to my wife's job, and I am losing hope. There simply are not any other firms I can apply to, and I am thinking about starting my own firm. Any suggestions?
- Quoted in "On the Verge of Mergers, Reed Smith Revenues Rise 14 Percent" (Law.com, January 16, 2007)
- Quoted in "Perks vs. Work: Do Wine Tastings and Weekend Retreats Sell Summer Associates on Law-Firm Life?" (Daily Journal, July 27, 2006)
- Quoted in "Is Reed Smith Ready to Challenge the Big Two?" (The Legal Intelligencer, June 16, 2006)
- Quoted in "Morgan Lewis' Gross Revenue Tops $800 Mil., PPP at $1 Mil." (The Legal Intelligencer, May 17, 2006)
- Quoted in "Web Site Aims to Make Headhunting Convenient for All Parties" (Daily Journal, May 11, 2006)
- Quoted in "London Calling" (The Legal Intelligencer, April 6, 2006)
- Quoted in "DLA's Piping Hot Financial Numbers" (The Legal Intelligencer, February 16, 2006)
- Quoted in "Boom Times at Reed Smith" (The Legal Intelligencer, February 13, 2006)
- Quoted in "Salary Increases—Latham Follows the Trend, Ups Associate Salaries" (Daily Journal, January 23, 2006)
- Quoted in "Latham Follows the Trend, Ups Associate Salaries" (Daily Journal, January 23, 2006)
- Quoted in "Salary Wars Pick Up Pace, With Gibson's First-Years at $135,000" (Daily Journal, December 21, 2005)
- Quoted in "Hike in Starting Salaries Is Not In the Cards, Experts Forecast" (Daily Journal, August 23, 2005)
- March 20, 2006
Tulane University Law School - "Overview of the California Legal Market"
- I cannot overstate how pleased I am with the work that Claudia provided and the results she helped me obtain. Unlike previous experience I've had with other recruiters, Claudia was able to focus my job search to only those firms where there was a good fit between what they were looking for and what I was looking for. She also provided invaluable advice as to how to position myself and my background for maximum effectiveness, whether by resume or in the interview itself. Finally, the "moral support" that Claudia was happy to provide was a bonus very much appreciated. In short, I landed the job I wanted, and I felt better throughout the whole process as a result of working with Claudia, too. I would recommend her to anybody thinking about a new job.