Margaret Gilleran Recruiter
445 Park Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY, 10022
p 646-201-9537 |  f 212-232-0111 |  toll-free 800-298-6440
Download Contact Info: Margaret Gilleran vCardMargaret practiced law at large international law firms - Mintz Levin Cohn Ferris Glovsky & Popeo; Paul Hastings; and Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom - for nearly a decade; and she has been a legal recruiter in New York since 2002. Margaret has placed attorneys with large firms, small firms, investment banks, hedge funds and Fortune 500 companies across the globe.
During her practicing years, Margaret was both a litigator and a transactional attorney, and her candidates and clients benefit immensely from her diverse legal background. Margaret is equally comfortable and knowledgeable discussing the challenges faced by a fourth year litigator who is considering his or her first lateral move as she is speaking with a partner about the advantages and disadvantages of moving his or her practice and clients to another firm.
In addition to her deep understanding of different practice areas and large firm "cultures", Margaret was heavily involved in recruiting as an associate, and she has a very clear understanding of how potential employers view candidates. Consequently, Margaret knows how to present candidates in the best possible manner throughout all stages of the search process, from the initial selection of positions, to the submission of a candidate’s materials, and finally to preparing for and successfully navigating the interview.
Margaret opted to stop practicing and become a recruiter because she discovered through doing so much recruiting as an associate that she really enjoys speaking with attorneys about their career goals, and helping them determine whether a position is right for them. As a recruiter, Margaret listens very carefully to her candidates and truly gets to know them; and her advice is tailored to suit not only candidates' skills but, perhaps more importantly, their personalities. Margaret is not interested in short term gain. She has worked in the New York legal market for nearly twenty years and she has been able to do so because she is extremely knowledgeable about the legal market; listens to her candidates and clients; and adheres to a very strict professional and ethical code of conduct.
Margaret received her J.D. from Northeastern University School of Law and her B.A. cum laude from the University of Massachusetts.
- What Is the Best Way to Get My Resume and Cover Letter Noticed?
- Relocation! Relocation! Relocation!
- What are Your Salary Requirements?
- Lateral Interviewing Techniques
- Calling All New York City Patent Litigators
- Top Ten Interview Questions
- Resume to Interview Ratio – Think Baseball!
- New York Recruiter Margaret Gilleran: Why Real Estate Law is a Hot Market
- Should I Submit My Resume Through a Friend?
- How Do I Create Conversation from Research during Interviews?
- So You Want to Switch Practice Groups?
Job Search Q&As
- Q:I am a third year law student who was recently laid off from my firm. I have been told by family, friends and even recruiters that I must ''network'' as much as possible. I desperately want to find a job, but I am uncomfortable with the whole idea of ''networking''. What do you suggest?
- Q: I am a fifth year associate at a large law firm who recently submitted my resume to several firms through a recruiter. I have some personal contacts at these firms, and want to know the best way to leverage these contacts. What do you suggest?
- Margaret helped me achieve my life-long goal of working in a big law firm. When every recruiter I spoke to said "no- you do not have the pedigree" or "your book of business is not big enough," Margaret saw in me what my current employer did- a tenacious attorney with the motivation to succeed if given the chance.
Right from the onset, she was the only one who invested time in talking to me, getting to know me and my work, and really believed in my expertise. She focused on my work, clients, and personality, rather than my law school. And soon, following my association with Margaret I had numerous interviews with large firms. These were the same large firms that other recruiters said my credentials were not suitable for application. I am now working at a top AM Law 100 firm running my own practice group!
Margaret was very patient with me since I was unfamiliar with the "big firm" process. She talked to me almost daily about my interviews and expectations. Through her persistence and relationships, Margaret even got me an interview at a firm which initially passed and ultimately turned into a strong contender. What else can I say? She made what everyone else said was impossible - possible. Margaret is an invaluable resource for people like me, who are hard working but don't have the pedigree to be recognized on our merit alone.
Thank you Margaret. --- Marnie Kudon
- Margaret provided exceptional service at every step, as well as providing the key information that I needed to make my move. I felt that I had an advisor on my side instead of a salesperson selling me a move. I have already recommended her to several friends. Thank you Margaret. --- Midlevel Real Estate Associate, New York.
- When I was considering a move, my first inclination was to seek an in house position, had even sent out a couple of resumes with no response. Then I met Margaret. After discussing the current market, my strengths and my weaknesses with her, it became clear that a move to another firm would best fit my goals and the market. Margaret helped me polish my resume and quickly got the word out. It wasn't long before I had my first interview. She was very helpful in my preparation for the interview, giving tips on the people I would be meeting with, and getting feedback afterwards. Margaret was diligent in always following up. I really can't thank Margaret enough, she was behind me 100%, and it paid off. I would highly recommend Margaret to anyone contemplating a move in the legal market. --- Bill S., Patent Partner
- I had the absolute pleasure of working with Margaret during my job search. Not only was I looking to make a move to a new firm, but I was looking to move to a different city as well. From New York, Margaret was able to find many quality opportunities for me in various cities along the East Coast, until I was finally able to narrow it down to one city. Margaret spent countless hours on the phone with me discussing my career, why I wanted to leave my firm, what I was looking to get out of my new job, and what type of positions would be appropriate for my career level. She also presented a few opportunities that were slightly out of the box that I might not have considered had it not been for her.
Margaret put an immense amount of effort into helping me obtain a position that I would be happy with, including helping me revise my resume, calling me to discuss the details of various openings, and calling me before and after each and every interview to help me prepare and to debrief with me afterwards. I am not sure that many other recruiters would go to such lengths.
Something that is very important to me is that Margaret was never pushy – if I did not want to apply to a certain position, we always discussed why so that she could fully understand where I was coming from, and she always respected my wishes about where to apply. Additionally, I never felt like I was running after Margaret for updates or information – she was always in close contact with me throughout the process.
Only a week or two after Margaret submitted my resume to various open positions, I had multiple interviews and callback interviews, and within 3 weeks I had a job offer, and 2 weeks later another. Margaret also helped me navigate the slightly awkward task of communicating with the firm where I had the standing offer while I was still interviewing for other positions. I was extremely surprised at how smooth and easy the process had been, and I am sure it was due to Margaret’s efforts. Margaret also made herself available to me anytime I needed her throughout the process – nights, weekends, etc., in order to be sure that I felt comfortable with my job search.
I believe that Margaret truly cares about the individual she is working with and goes to great lengths to ensure that the individual finds a position that he or she will be happy with. I have already recommended Margaret to several of my friends and will continue to do so in the future. In fact, I am still in contact with Margaret months after my job search ended, and plan to continue to do so!
Not only was Margaret great, but I was extremely pleased with BCG as a whole as well. Margaret is an extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy source in her field, but if by chance she was unsure about something, she would reach out to her fellow recruiters at BCG and would always have an answer for me very quickly. I would definitely recommend BCG Attorney Search to anyone who is considering looking for a new position. --- Junior Corporate Associate, D.C.